Wednesday, March 18, 2009

President picks VCU to Upset

Too Much Media Attention
03/18/2009
@The White House

President Obama joined with the millions of other American's caught up in March Madness when ESPN unveiled his NCAA Tournament Bracket today. The president made each of his selections on an over sized white board adorned with the presidential seal. The big reveal was recorded Tuesday from the White House Map Room as part of ESPN.com's Tournament Challenge.

The commander in chief picked North Carolina to win it all. Joining UNC in the president's final is the Big East Tournament Champion and No 1 overall Louisville. His final four is rounded out by Pitt and Memphis

The president's bracket doesn't include any Cinderella runs but he did pick several notable upsets. In the West Obama went with the No. 10 seed Maryland to upset the 7th seeded Golden Bears of California. He also went with the No 11 seed Temple over No 6 ASU in the South Region. Perhaps his most notable upset came in the East Regional in Philadelphia with No. 11 VCU over No. 6 UCLA.

"VCU, I think, has been playing strong, and I hate to say this, because my brother-in-law is in the Pac-10 right now, but the Pac-10 has been looking pretty weak this year," Obama told ESPN.

His Elite Eight includes only one team seeded below No. 2, Syracuse in the South, and he doesn't pick a team seeded below No. 5 to advance into the Sweet 16.

I believe this is the first time a president has ever public announced his tourney picks. This leads me to the question: Is he spending enough time on creating new jobs for hard working Americans such as myself? I love the fact that he is an avid basketball fan but I would love it even more if he could end this recession quickly and get me back in a job.

Hopefully all this attention VCU is receiving wont back fire on the Rams.

2 comments:

  1. This is going to be great and I will wear my face paint! Huzzah! are you going to live blog it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking about live blogging. We will see!

    ReplyDelete